When you take churros and turn them into Cinnamon Twist Churro Lightsabers, it takes the world's greatest dessert to a whole new galaxy. Let me show you how to make these crunchy sticks of fried dough and turn them into a yummy dessert and fun craft the entire family will love!
Cinnamon Twist Churros
Everyone loves a good churro. Crispy fried dough covered in a deliciously sweet cinnamon-sugar coating. With The Clone Wars Season 7 appearing on Disney + this February, I knew my kids would enjoy making some Star Wars Lightsaber Cinnamon Twist Churros.
In Star Wars, lightsabers are energy blades that are capable of cutting into almost anything. The lightsabers are assembled with Kyber crystals, which acquire color once attuned to a specific Jedi. But they are more than just a mechanical focusing device.
Every Padawan has to go to one of only a few select places in the galaxy where Kyber crystals form, and each goes on a spiritual journey to find not just a crystal, but their crystal, guided by the force.
Video: Step-By-Step Instructions For Making Lightsaber Cinnamon Twist Churros
Check out this super quick video for a step-by-step visual on how to make these churros!
Here's what you'll need to make these Cinnamon Twist Churros:
For the Churro Dough
- Sugar – provides the sweet taste in the dough.
- Water – bringing water to a boil helps bind together the sugar, salt, flour, and oil.
- Salt – a flavor enhancer also used to cut some of the sweetness.
- Canola oil – lubrication and binding agent. Vegetable oil can be used as a substitute.
- All-purpose flour – the base ingredient used.
For the Cinnamon-Sugar Coating
- Sprinkle Sugar Crystals – perfect covering for the churros and adds color to make the lightsaber shine.
- White granulated sugar – provides the sweet taste in the outer coating.
- Ground cinnamon – flavor enhancer that should be mixed with the sugar.
How To Make Cinnamon Twist Churros
Refer back to the recipe for making these churro ice cream sandwiches. This recipe is similar, but a little different.
Step 1 – Prepare The Dough
- In a saucepan, combine the water, sugar, salt, and oil. Bring to a boil and then remove from heat.
- Next, stir in the flour and mix well.
- Once the ingredients are well combined, form the dough into a ball. This step is straightforward and happens quickly, within about thirty seconds.
- Remove the dough from the saucepan and form it into a large ball. The dough will be hot, so let it cool on a clean counter for about 15-20 minutes before piping.
Step 2 – Piping
- Once the dough has cooled, fill a piping bag with the churro dough.
- For this recipe, you can either use the Ateco tip #829 or the 1M open star piping tip in the piping bag to form straight lines.
- Once the dough is piped into lines, you'll twist all lines together.
- Once twisted, set aside and prepare for frying.
Step 3 – Frying Churros
- In a large deep skillet, heat 2 quarts of canola or vegetable oil. Use a candy thermometer to gauge the temperature of the oil.
- When the oil reaches 375 degrees, place the churro twist on a stainless steel spatula (or use tongs) and place it in the hot oil.
- Make sure the churro twist is completely submerged and fry until golden. This takes about 20 -30 seconds.
- Once done, remove the fried churro and place it on a paper towel to dry. Complete this process for the other churro twists.
Step 4- Finishing The Cinnamon Twist Churros
- Once the churros have cooled, it's time to decorate them with cinnamon, sugar, and sprinkle sugar crystals.
- In a small bowl, mix the ground cinnamon and sugar and pour it onto a clean surface or long shallow dish.
- Take the churro and roll around in the cinnamon-sugar mixture.
- In a separate long shallow dish, mix granular sugar with red sprinkle sugar crystals. Roll the churro around until covered.
- Expert tip – if the crystals aren't sticking, take a spray bottle and spray the churro with water (about two squirts) and roll in the sprinkles until coated.
- Repeat the same steps with blue and green sugar sprinkles.
- Your result will not only be super cute, but it will also be the most delicious Star Wars Lightsaber Cinnamon Twist Churros you'll ever taste!
Assembling Star Wars Lightsaber Holders
These paper lightsabers holders are so easy to assemble. Sci-fi food wizard, Tye from EattheDead.com, was kind enough to make us papercraft churro lightsaber holders.
We're talking three simple steps to assembling these:
- cut along the solid line and fold along the dotted line.
- secure with tape or non-toxic glue
- allow to dry
- Piping the dough – if using a piping bag, tie the filled bag with a rubber band. This ensures the dough doesn’t seep out of the top while piping.
- Tips – you have the option of using a small or large star tip.
- If using the Ateco tip #829, you'll make two lines onto a piece of parchment paper and then twist.
- If using the 1M open star piping tips, you'll make four lines onto a piece of parchment paper and then twist.
- Tools – When frying, use a metal spatula or metal tongs. Never use a plastic spatula. It will melt in the oil.
More Sweet Treat Recipes
If you love churros, you have to try these churro based sweet treats:
And if you're looking for more desserts, check these out:
Star Wars Lightsaber Cinnamon Twist Churros
When you take churros and turn them into Cinnamon Twist Churro Lightsabers, it takes the world's greatest dessert to a whole new galaxy. Let me show you how to take these crunchy sticks of fried dough and turn them into a yummy dessert and fun craft the entire family will love!
To Make The Dough
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable or Canola oil
- 2 quarts vegetable or Canola oil, (for frying)
Cinnamon Sugar Topping
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, (ground)
- <a href=”https://amzn.to/2HbeeKm”><strong>Sprinkle Sugar Crystals</strong></a><strong>,</strong> (red, blue, and green)
Step 1: Preparing The Dough
- In a small saucepan combine the water, sugar, salt, and oil. Bring to a boil and then remove from heat.
- Stir in the flour and form a ball. It is very simple and happens quickly, approx. thirty seconds.
- Set aside to cool. Once cooled, stuff the piping bag with the churro dough. With the pastry bag and the Ateco tip #829, pipe 8 strips of dough on parchment paper.
- Twist two strips of dough together and set aside. Repeat by twisting the other strips of dough until you have 4 cinnamon twist churros.
Step 2: Frying
- Heat oil in a large pan or skillet to 375 degrees. Verify the temperature with the thermometer.
- One at a time, place the churro twists in the hot oil and fry until golden. This takes about 20 -30 seconds.
- Once fried, place on paper towels to dry.
Step 3: Finishing The Churros
- After the churro twists have dried, roll in the mixture of sugar and cinnamon for a light coating.
- In a separate shallow dish, roll the churro in the colored sugar sprinkles until well coated.
Lightsaber Paper Holders
- Print and cut out the paper lightsaber.
- Tape or glue the lightsaber together. If using glue to secure, ensure it is non-toxic.
- Place the lightsaber into the holder and enjoy!
Note: Lightsaber photo props provided by Syndicate Saber United.